Thursday, February 18, 2016

Sandflies and Wildlife in Okarito

After the awesome time in Hokitika we drove to Okarito, home to the rarest kiwi bird in the world. We wanted to find the Okarito kiwi so we walked on this trail hoping to see it. Instead we got attacked by sandflies, saw a Tui, and saw a bell bird. When we got to the end of the trail we had a great view of the Alps which were all covered with snow. Then we went to the beach to try to see a Royal Spoonbill. Of course we didn't see it but we did see one of the White Herons, very rare in New Zealand with fewer than 100 birds alive today. Then Dad decided to go mountain biking and I rode on the the handlebars. We peddled onto a boardwalk and there was a little kid in front of us and Dad stopped abruptly and I went flying off the handlebars and I hurt my ankle. Luckily it wasn't too serious and it healed after Mom put ice on it.


The picture I took of Mom and Dad at the beach.

The picture Mom took of Dad and I at the beach.

Pretty mountains!



Me and Dad with sideways hats!

More pretty mountains!

Even more pretty mountains!

Us hiking in Okarito.

My handmade, sand Royal Spoonbill.

No comments:

Post a Comment